Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The God of Socrates

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. Socrates

This quote has been deeply resonating with me this past month. I just can’t get this old dead guy’s repeating words out of my head! I was curious as to why this was and now I know the reason. SO, let me explain.        

This semester I am enrolled in the class, Introduction to Philosophy. And let me tell you, this class is nothing but confusion. But despite the overwhelming criteria, I have also found it to be very intriguing.  I think I have noticed how Philosophy has a way of getting back to the essentials of life and asks the questions I forget to ask. You know, simple overlooked questions like:                                       
“Why are we here?”
 “Who put us here?”
“What is humanity’s purpose?”

But now I am challenging myself to actually seek the answers to these questions.

Before I took on this challenge I would always find myself extremely upset when I questioned the Nature of God and his purpose. Almost as if I had done the most unspeakable thing a follower of Christ can do. I would think being a Christian opted me out of asking answers to these realities. But I think that is exact opposite of how God would want us to act. And I can say that I have come to the understanding these questions should be asked by Christians.

You want to know why I can say that?

This past month its almost as if the world has been opened up with these new questions my Philosophy class has permitted me to ask now. The more I ask them, the more God proves himself greater. God wants us to ask these questions so we can seek, find, and know the truth confidently. That he ultimately is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. And he has humanity here for a reason and purpose.

But after seeking the answer, I also come to the realization that no matter how many questions I ask, I will never even come close to knowing everything. Actually the more insight I find, the more this realization becomes clearer, increasing the gap between me and obtaining ultimate knowledge.

Hmmmm, don’t you feel the quote replaying itself now?
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”

Wow. I feel humbled. This world of knowledge is so large and I am so small. God is more than I can ever fathom, that even my deepest questions and answers can never fully describe his character.

And that is a God I want to serve.

Thanks for reading!

Karlie


1 comment:

  1. Great post! The really cool thing is God is greater than all of our questions and our doubts. When we really take time to examine the answers the these questions, not only do we gain more knowledge, but it strengthens our faith. Christianity is an intelligent religion. We need not fear when hose questions pop up: God is greater!


    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete